12.11.2010

"Ya Mon".. First adventures in Jamaica and the children's homes


We spent 13 hours in the airport on Thursday where we had our first Jamaican experience (even though we were in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida). Long story short: the airline left us and 13 Jamaican’s to our own in FL to find a flight and make it to Jamaica (our plane was under technical repairs.) The 13 of us grew close (I marveled at their accents) and we learned about each others lives on the floor of the crowded airport. When we finally made it to Jamaica at 1:00am (time of arrival WAS at 4p the previous day) Joseph and I hugged our new Caribbean family, they ensured we had a ride and were taken care of. The Jamaican culture is unique, and I love it.

Joseph and I are here on behalf of our church to explore the possibility of bringing in ESP (extraspecialpeople.com) resources and starting a week-long ESP camp in a couple of the disability children’s homes (a 3 year dream for me). Here in Jamaica, kids with disabilities are often times abandoned leaving several children’s homes working diligently to care for the hundreds of these children. (note: the children are property of the country and therefore we were not allowed to take pictures. I wish I could show you their faces. Words will do, but not do their beauty justice.)

Yesterday we were able to visit two places: a center for children with disabilities and a children’s home for children with disabilities. We went to serve, play and explore. We did not want to come in as “know it all American’s” ready “fix” what they worked so hard to achieve. We wanted to come in the image of Jesus. If the opportunity arose to talk about what I do in the states, and the dream we had, we would take it.

I definitely had fears coming in- What if what I have isn’t needed? What if they didn’t want what I have to offer? What if we are turned down?

The first place we visited for only a few minutes (our ride took an “extended lunch break” from work in order to drive us around). We walked in and the sight was oh so familiar, 15 children with cerebral palsy and multiple disabilities in a circle practicing Christmas carols. Once they saw us, the workers quickly got them together for the favorite song, one with 4 soloist. The tears were almost instant for Joseph and I- the workers hummed the tune to Silver Bells and the children strained out their best voices. To an untrained ear it may have sounded like nothing at all- but to us, it was beautiful, perfect.

The second, a children’s home, was even more impactful. We were welcomed at the gate by Omar, a young man around 14 with an intellectual disability. Omar took his job very seriously- and he opened our doors and made sure they were to close locked. One of the staff members showed us around the 3rd world looking facility that somehow houses 52 children with disabilities (yet was amazingly clean). We got to the back of the facility where many of the kids were left alone to stimulate themselves. The children instantly got excited and began waving, clapping and body rocking. One boy Dave, also bound to a wheelchair, hugged us and tried his best to show off the toy in his hand- an old, dirty fisher price toy missing all of it’s parts that he proudly called his “truck.” Roy, a little boy with Downs syndrome (who they call Mr. Roy, apparently he tries to own the place) gave us hug after hug. There was Deena, Andre and Leon who I got the most time with. There were also several children in the back, locked in a gate.. those are the children with aberrant behavior who are labeled “not able to learn.”

Children are children everywhere- and many of the children at both homes reminded me of one that I love back home. The pure joy, love for the small things in life and perseverance to push past their disability was there, just as the kids at ESP.

Our driver decided to leave us- I think she realized that she wasn’t going to be able to pull me away after only 15 minutes. I don’t know how long she left us (I think it was a couple hours) but time flew by and I felt as if I were home.

Joseph and I sat down with one of the teachers, talked about her teaching strategies, asked her questions and commended her work. Once she found out my experience and schooling- she began asking me questions to help her with her classroom materials and ideas for teaching functional skills. The conversation lead to ESP Camp… which lead to another conversation with her and the director of the home. We all four sat in the little office and talked for an hour about what we could do, how we could help… all of our eyes, hearts and minds began to come alive with the possibilities and we began to dream together as to what the camp would look like and all that we could accomplish through it.

I could visualize and feel an ESP Camp in both the first program and the children’s home: the hope, the love and the ESP magic.

“To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the proper answer of the tongue.
All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the LORD.
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and HE will establish your plans.”
Proverbs 16:1-3


I began the post with “Ya mon.” It’s actually more like “Ya Man”… but really fast. I thought it may be a stereotype, but was happy to find that nearly every Jamaican we have spoken to has said it at least once. Upon arrival, I was prepared to get a big fat “No, man” regarding the plans of my heart. Thanks be to God- and the beautiful Jamaican culture- who welcomed us with a “Ya Mon.” It is only the beginning. It’s exciting to be a part of His plan, as He leads me to become more like these children, and ultimately more like Jesus.

More visits to come… and more to share…

5 comments:

  1. Laur- this is amazing! I will be praying it all works out. When we were in the Dominican Republic we visited a home for children with disabilities, and I remember thinking how great it would be if they had a program like ESP. I hope your dream becomes a reality because I know it would make a lot of other people's dreams come true, too. Can't wait to hear more!

    - Carol Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK....I am crying too. What a dream, Laura. (and Joseph)...I surely hope and pray that it comes true and I know God will bless your heart. ......I can just see the whole Bohnhoff Fam. down there helping you. That would be an awesome time for us all. I love you and thank you for letting us take care of Owen while you are there. We are having lots and lots of fun. Love you MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing. Who would have thought 5 years ago that you would now be bringing ESP to Jamaica! I hope to be able to visit with you one day. Can't wait to see you again!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Yes! Yes! God is so good! Laura, you truly are an amazing woman! Keep on doing what you do, because you make an impact in every person you encounter's life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Awesome Laura!
    What amazing dreams you have.
    I truly hope they come true. Those kids deserve to feel extra special!

    ReplyDelete

Followers