8.28.2011

The greatest.


Having a child is the greatest. It's one of the greatest joys, challenges, and one of the greatest fulfillment.

Friday I finally had the opportunity to bring Owen with me to one of my favorite kitchens in Athens... one that is full of people for every meal and a room of full bellys when each customer walks out of the door. These Friday mornings are my favorite as I get to start the day off cooking and spending time with people.

When J dropped off Owen, the food was already ready. Owen was a little hesitant at first, he watched. Although he's grown up around people of all abilities, looks, behaviors and challenges at ESP, this was a new environment with new people. He watched intently as we passed out the food to some individuals who seemed to not have eaten since their visit the day before, and others who looked just like me... just maybe couldn't quite make ends meet that week. Owen watched.

We visited.. there was one little girl there and Owen said hello, and watched. I was wondering what was going on in that little 3-year-old, well versed mind. I knew those thoughts at some point would be revealed.

At the end of the hour, most of the customers were gone and a few plates of food still lay on the counter. Owen looked up at me with questioning eyes and asked "Mommy, what did those people do to get those yummy plates of food?" A bit taken back, I asked a few questions. My original thought was true. When Owen looked at these people, he didn't see torn clothes, missing teeth or ratted hair. He didn't see "homeless" "jobless"... "hopeless." He saw them as God sees them, well-deserving of the plate full of eggs, sausage and pancakes. The lucky ones.

Matthew18:4 "Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest..."
As I used that moment to tearfully teach Owen that God provides for all of his children, it was really me that learned the lesson. The innocence, humility and heart of Owen is what I am called to imitate. If I choose to pay attention, it is his soul that will protect mine.

Having a child is the greatest.

1 comment:

Followers